*** COVID-19 ALERT: Starting on March 16, 2020, and running every Monday until we are past this crisis, No Lights No Lycra will be live-streamed here. Join us for free from the safety of your own home for some freeing and high-energy movement. Follow our Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter for updates.***
No Lights No Lycra is a dance party in the dark for the pure joy of dancing.
It’s a DJ night that’s not at the club, a workout that’s not at the gym, a personal meditation that’s anything but silent.
Imagine dancing around your bedroom in your PJs, singing into a hairbrush. Now take that same feeling and put it into a dark room with tons of space, your friends, and a sweet sound system. That’s No Lights No Lycra.
NLNL is a substance-free, judgment-free event that started more than a decade ago in Australia and now happens in more than 50 communities all over the world, including right here in Austin, Texas.
WHERE: The Ana Lark Center, 1400 Tillery St, Austin, TX 78721
WHEN: Every Monday from 8-9:30pm
COST: $5 suggested donation
FACEBOOK EVENT: https://www.facebook.com/events/517732825814948/
Our resident DJ Brian Blackout and guests play a wide-ranging mix of genres: indie, electropop, synthpop, disco, dusty rock + R&B records, regular funk, future funk, synthwave, new wave, many other waves, and much more. Listen to some of our previous NLNL sets here.
Here’s what you need to know before your first NLNL:
- It doesn’t matter what you wear. Remember, it’s dark! Gym attire, loungewear—yes, even lycra if that’s what you’re feeling.
- No alcohol, no drugs. No strangers hitting on you, no photos or instagramming what a good time you’re having—in fact, all phones and other glowy devices should be kept silent and in their un-glowy modes.
- It’s open to all ages. No ticket purchase or RSVP required.
- People often come alone and dance alone (just like in all those songs).
- Bring water—it’s a workout!
The dance floor is waiting for you.